Multi-Pitch Rock Climbing
Multi Pitch Rock Climbing in San Diego
Participants learn about the basic principles of multi-pitch climbing and equipment (or enjoy the benefits of a professional guide):
- harness, ropes, belay device, cordalette, shoulder and double shoulder length slings, use of locking vs. non-locking carabiners
- introduction to lead climbing
- lead belaying technique“guide-belay” technique
- Introduction on how to read a climber’s guidebook
Anchoring – bolted and traditional anchors
- how to set up an anchor on two bolts vs. trad anchor
- rope management at anchor station
- how to secure yourself to the anchor (clove hitch)
This trip is a great opportunity to experience and observe the full process of a multi-pitch climb. Since multi-pitch climbing combines a lot of different aspects of rock-climbing, it is the ideal way to learn about basic skills and practice them in a safe environment. This trip is packed with lots of climbing and hands on experience that will broaden your knowledge about rock-climbing.
While observing the multi-pitch process several times throughout the day we will have a lot of time to talk and discuss different situations that we will encounter. By the end of the day you will be able to answer the following questions:
- What is a lead climb?
- How do I belay a lead climber?
- What is an anchor station and how do I protect myself on an anchor?
- How do I build a bolted anchor vs. Trad anchor?
- How do I belay in “guide’s mode”?How do I transition from belaying into climbing on a multi-pitch?
- …and many more questions that you will be able to answer after this experience